Wednesday, December 26, 2012

It all started with one really excellent Christmas gift...


It's humbling to admit that my boyfriend* won Christmas this year.  

I thought I was going overboard when I bought him SIX presents, and a stocking full of card games.  I also thought I had him when he asked me what I wanted for Christmas a WEEK before!  Surely, he was flailing.  Then, on Christmas eve, he texted from work to tell me that he forgot to get my present!  "I'll grab it really quick before you get here."  

I was feeling pretty cocky.  

Then, he showed up with what might be the most awesome present anyone has ever given me: A YEAR of free movies at the Seattle Independent Film Festival Theaters.  

As many as I want.  

All year.  

I could watch every movie they show.  All year.  For free.  

The extra awesomeness of this gift is that not only is it free movies, but this is an independent film house, so they play all kinds of obscure, arty films.  Yes, they are showing Les Miserables and Django Unchained right now, so there are some more mainstream movies for when I'm feeling populist, but I'll be able to see foreign films, and documentaries, and short series that don't play at AMC or Regal.  

So, I've decided to do three things:
(1) My goal is to see every movie playing at SIFF for the next year.  FOR FREE.  I think it's TOTALLY doable.

(2) I shall document my film-going experiences.  You should know, before reading my posts, that I'm not a film snob.  I like ALL kinds of movies, from Dude, where's my car to Irreversible.  I have a special love for Nick Cage, and I love a good fart joke.  So, this may be an exercise of me falling asleep in 200 movies over the next year.  I'm totally ok with that.  Because it's all FREE!!!!

(3) Next year, I really need to bring my A game for Christmas presents.

So, sit back, enjoy my ramblings about free movies, and maybe I'll put together some lists of recommendations or something at some point.  Who knows!  

For now, I need to go get dressed, because I have movies to see.


*greatest person on earth

No comments:

Post a Comment