Sunday, June 16, 2013

15. This is the End

OH MY GOD!!!!  Go see this movie.  I can't even talk about how much I loved it.  Ok... calm down, Peggy... you can do this...

Hey, everyone! I just went to a "little" movie called This Is The End. It's that movie where everyone who is awesome plays themselves in a movie, and it's about the apocalypse.

That's really all you need to know.

It's so funny. Like, hilarious from the first second of footage all the way through the end. Hilarious to the point where I feel like I bonded with the other people in the theater. Like, we could all go hang out after the movie and feel like old friends.

Hilarious in all the tiny details. Hilarious in big, broad strokes. Just really damn funny.

That having been said, I have the sense of humor of a 13-year-old boy, so if you don't like dick/poo/vomit/jizz jokes, then ... well... go watch something boring and leave me alone.

Yesterday, I read Patton Oswalt's recent blog in which he theorizes about many comedic subjects, including the sensitive issue of rape jokes. (You can read it here.) He poses the question of whether humor can be used to attack and expose ideas within something as violent and horrific as rape. And, I really appreciated that idea, because I like to think that humor is a tool, and you can either use that tool to perpetuate things like hate, violence, bigotry, etc., or you can use that tool to (slowly) chip away at those same things. And oddly, this movie had a VERY funny scene in which rape is the central theme. I dare say, it was an extended rape joke, which I think was done very successfully. Maybe it will be used as an example of how you can approach sensitive subjects with humor, and not come out looking like you support things like violence against women.

I really have nothing else to say about this movie. Just go see it.

Today was a funny day, too, because I went to the SIFF theatre, where I see most of my free movies, and I was just sitting in the theatre, listening to the emo they play over the reel of still ads for upcoming screenings, and I got kind of sad, but in this really nice way.  I don't know if I can explain it. Like, nostalgic, and happy, and sad all at the same time. I'm sure there's a word for that feeling in Japanese. But, it's like the end of the summer after you graduate from high school, sitting by a pool at the end of the party right before all your friends are leaving for college. And then the movie started and I laughed my ass off for two hours. Like, what better day can a person have?  Sure, you're all teaching your kids to ride bikes, or inventing something that will make blind people see, blah blah blah.

I was at the movies.

Peggy's Rating: FIVE out of Five stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment