Sunday, January 27, 2013

6. My Worst Nightmare: Proving I'm not cool, once again

I've been seeing trailers for My Worst Nightmare, a French romantic comedy, for the last month. Frankly, it didn't look that interesting to me.

(1) It's subtitled, and comedy+subtitles=crap

(2) Comedy is one of those things that doesn't often transcend culture that well.  I recall a movie night with friends once where I was forced to sit through two excruciating hours of an Iranian "Comedy."  I have no idea what the EFFF was going on in that movie, but none of it even partially resembled humor to me.  Unless you count people screaming at each other incoherently.  I don't.

(3) This movie appeared to follow the Dharma & Greg (but in reverse) plot structure.  Wacky, free-spirited man meets buttoned-down type-A woman... etc. "Will they ever learn to understand each other??"... ugh.

But, despite all that, it was free, so I saw it.  ;)

And, you know, I liked it.  It definitely had some plot problems.  Instead of the traditional 3-act structure, this movie had about 14 acts, none of them were particularly inventive.  It also felt long, and it's only 99 minutes, so that's not a great sign.

But, it did have a lot of dick jokes (a plus, in my book). And I really liked the main actors. I loved Isabelle Huppert in I Heart Huckabees as the French Existentialist Philosopher Katarine Vaubon. And I had never seen Benoit Poelvoorde in anything. I enjoyed both of their performances. Benoit had a number of great lines, and played a totally gross frenchman in a really fun way.

I love movies about ugly non-americans. It makes me feel a sense of camaraderie with the world. We all have embarrassing people among us.

Now, when I saw this movie, I was sitting behind two old ladies, and the three of us cracked up throughout the movie. I mean... it's a ridiculous, low-brow movie. Why not laugh?

However, I walked out behind a group of hipsters who complained loudly about how much they hated it, and couldn't believe that people thought it was funny.

So... apparently I have the sense of humor of an old lady.

I'm ok with that.

Peggy's rating: Three out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment