Sunday, January 20, 2013

Netflix Suggestion of the Week: Sleepwalk with me

I, like any good NPR junkie, have heard Mike Birbiglia tell his hilarious and bizarre story of discovering and learning to cope with his sleep disorder. I also heard Birbigs and Ira Glass pimping this movie to every podcast they could find while it was in theaters last summer.

I was overjoyed to recently see Sleepwalk With Me on Netflix streaming!

I have been eager to see how his comedic one-man telling of this story would translate to a motion picture.  


I'm happy to report that it translated quite well. Mike Birbiglia painted himself as a somewhat pathetic figure surrounded by others who were more capable, direct, and active in their own lives. Mike's big-screen surrogate went through a reluctant journey of self-discovery, highlighted by bizarre moments, many of which happened while he was, himself, asleep. There is a beautiful symmetry in a story about man who is literally and figuratively sleepwalking through life.  

If you aren't familiar with Mike Birbiglia's dry, patient, juxtaposing brand of humor, many of the jokes in this movie may go overlooked. One of the things I like the most about his comedy is that he often neglects the punchline, allowing the audience to make connections and discover levels of irony themselves. This is what makes him such an NPR darling, I think. We snobs love a quiet, literary-esque comic.  

However, comparing the movie to the podcast version above, I must say that the climactic sleepwalking event is MUCH more hilarious in the podcast version. In the movie, it was mostly sad. Many parts were actually more sad in the movie. But, I think that's what makes it such an enjoyable, layered comedy.  

On a personal note, I find Mike Birbiglia to be immensely cute and disarming. I enjoy his self-exploration in this movie. And Lauren Ambrose is an angel that should be in every single movie made. She and I are the same age, and she looks 12. Seriously. It's ridiculous. She gave a delightful and somewhat heart-breaking performance.  

I recommend this movie for a quiet afternoon, or (as a cautionary tale) if you are thinking about taking up a career in stand-up comedy. 

Peggy's Rating: Four (out of Five) Stars

PS: Here are some podcast episodes of a few of my favorite gems including appearances by Mike Birbiglia.  You can find them at the links below, or on itunes:

No comments:

Post a Comment