Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Netflix Suggestion of the Week: 5 Movies about Mental Illness

Since I have seen so many movies this week dealing with mental illness in one way or another, I decided to put together my top 5 movies currently available on Netflix Streaming dealing with mental illness.

I tried to include those that I think make meaningful statements about the mental illness, possible causes (many narrative accounts of mental illness misplace the blame, such as in movies about people with Schizophrenia that blame mothers, when we know that Schizophrenia is a biological disorder,) the mental illness's effects on the person's family, personal relationships, and enjoyment of life.

We used to do exercises in Grad School where we'd watch a movie and write a diagnosis and treatment plan for one of the mentally ill characters.  It was actually pretty fun.  I still do it informally from time to time.

MAN, I'm boring today.  I just had a really tough workout, and I'm exhausted.  Maybe the funny part of my brain is sleeping.  And, also, this has so much to do with my profession that I tend to slip into social-work-speak.

Here's the list.  You can go watch them all right now!

1. Mary and Max
This animated movie sat on my queue for about three years before I actually got around to seeing it.  The description and poster don't make it look very interesting, but it is an absolute joy to watch.  A man with Asperger's Syndrome finds a meaningful relationship and avenue for personal exploration and growth through a pen-pal relationship with a little girl who lives halfway across the world.  It's funny and touching and makes an important statement about why we shouldn't jump toward trying to "fix" people with what we have labeled "disabilities."  It's a really empowering story, and the animation is adorable.   

2. Punch-Drunk Love
This is a very polarizing movie. I know many people who love it and many more who hate it. I think the reason is that the director tells the story of a man who is pushed to the edge of his anxiety through pushing the audience's anxiety in small ways. Brilliant soundtrack. Brilliant acting. It's also frustrating to watch, and forces the audience to become uncomfortable. I adore it.

3. The Hours
This movie is a patient, emotional story of three women from different eras, each dealing with depression in a different context. Famously, Virginia Woolf suffered from a cluster of mental health issues, ultimately resulting in her suicide. This movie is more of a bummer than most that I would suggest, but it's really haunting and poetic in its storytelling. All of the performances are world-class, and no one should not see it. Plus, I think it raises some interesting issues about how the way we think about depression, especially among women, has changed over time in some ways, but in other ways, it has stayed the same.

4. The Machinist
I think everyone should watch this movie, just to see the freak-show-esque images of an emaciated Christian Bale. This movie deals with the effects of acute trauma on mental health. It's quite upsetting at moments, and has a number of really great plot twists. This is Christian Bale at his best.

5. Lars and the Real Girl
This movie made a lot of noise for an indie a few years ago. It's the story of a man (played by the devastatingly adorable Ryan Gosling) who falls in love with a life-size sex doll. It's quirky, and has great moments. It also shines a light on the role of families and friends in helping people with mental illnesses.

There are a few other movies of note that I recommend for those of you who don't limit your viewing only to what's available on netflix. If you get a chance, you should definitely check these out:
6. What About Bob?
7. The Cable Guy
8. The Talented Mr. Ripley
9. Shine
10. The Soloist

1 comment:

  1. Just watched a film on Netflix "Silver Lining Bookplay" About bipolar disorder. Very positive family support.

    ReplyDelete