Thursday, February 14, 2013

Netflix Suggestions of the Week: Valentine's Day Confessions

I was just looking through my Netflix ratings, to see what movies I might suggest this week, and I discovered something.  I have a lot of movies with 5-star ratings that are widely considered to be terrible movies.

Maybe I have horrible taste in movies!

Or... maybe I see diamonds in the rough... You decide.

5 embarrassing movies I have rated (a perfect) 5 stars:

1. She's out of control (1989)
Yes, this movie stars Mr. Tony Danza. Not only is this movie the PERFECT makeover movie, but it is also gloriously, iconically late-80's. The 80's are back, right? Well, even if they aren't, this movie is awesome. It will make you want to wear a side ponytail and watch old reruns of Who's the Boss.

2. Jumanji (1995)
I re-watched this movie for the 10,000th time about a month ago, and it totally stands the test of time. Fantastical, silly, sad, Robin-Williams-y. It's perfect. It might be Bonnie Hunt's best movie ever. And a really fantastic small-ish role for the always wonderful David Allen Grier.

3. Amistad (1997)
Steven Spielberg's notorious flop! But seriously, screw you guys. This movie is SAD and really good. It's all epic and swashbuckly. Anthony Hopkins is awesome. There's nothing wrong with this movie. I think people just randomly hate certain movies set at sea. I can't figure out why. I like them all, even that Gina Davis one that was really shitty.

4. Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol (1987)
This is, by far, the best Police Academy movie. Putting all the loveable screwup cops in charge of a citizen's police force is pure comic gold. This movie has no idea what decade it takes place in. It also has twice the slapstick of the previous three movies, and a hefty scoop of subtle racism.  Scoring a perfect 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, everyone should watch this movie at least once.

5. Career Opportunities (1991)
For some reason, this is a really popular movie in my family. I think we probably recorded it off of TV at some point, and we watched it repeatedly. There's something about being locked in a Target alone overnight that really appealed to me both at age 13, and age 34. Plus, you get to see Jennifer Connelly before she got scary-skinny. I also have a soft spot in my heart for Frank Whaley. Whatever happened to him?

So, maybe check these movies out!  Or, just feel sad for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment