Monday, February 4, 2013

Zero Dark Thirty

Well, as the saying goes... Boyfriends come and go, but my free movie pass lasts until December 31, 2013...

That having been said, I chose to celebrate my newfound freedom by purchasing a movie for once!

There are only three movies that are nominated for the Best Picture Oscar this year that I still needed to see, and now there are just two, because I just saw Zero Dark Thirty.

And yes, my friend already pointed out to me that this is an odd post-break-up movie to take yourself to...
Maybe I just have a lot of issues.

But, two very important words made me really interested in seeing this movie: CHRIS PRATT.

Ahhh... he's so beautiful.  And charming.  And beautiful.  And he got super ripped for this movie.

However (Spoiler alert), he didn't show up in this movie for TWO DAMN HOURS.

Seriously?  Two hours.

So, basically, for me, this movie was me sitting around watching people get tortured and humiliated for two hours, and then about 20-30 minutes of awesomeness.

I must admit that I also wasn't a huge fan of The Hurt Locker, Kathryn Bigelow's last movie.  I remember feeling similarly un-enchanted by the characters and storyline.

I wonder if it's an aversion to movies about very recent current political/war events.  Because I also didn't care for W, or Game Change.  And it's not about politics or war, but I have almost ZERO interest in seeing the Ashton Kutcher movie about Steve Jobs that's coming out.  Ugh.  That looks horrible.  But I think that's more about Kutcher than anything else.

I think it's possible that we don't have enough perspective on these very recent events to be able to make the kind of movies I want to see about them.

Anyway, Zero Dark Thirty was not for me.  It had a decent script, believable performances, and a really gripping final 20 minutes, but overall, I found myself checking my phone. And, it was thoroughly humorless. There were a few attempts at lightening the mood, which all failed miserably.  And yes, I realize that humor is a strange thing to ask for in this movie, but I just can't deal with stories that are that IMPORTANT.  Please, I beg you to give us someone to root for, and something to laugh at just a little bit.

But, now that I'm thinking about it.  Maybe this was the perfect movie to watch after being dumped like an old bag of garbage.  At least I'm not tied to a wall in Gitmo, shitting up my pants and being waterboarded.  Suddenly I feel like the luckiest girl in town.

But for the rest of you, if you need a Chris Pratt fix, like I did, maybe just rent Moneyball, or watch Season 2 of Parks & Rec.

Peggy's rating: Two out of five stars

No comments:

Post a Comment